Just purchased Q7Basic - 2 platforms

Coding + IDE + Code-Editor + Syntax + User-Functions + Anything else

Just purchased Q7Basic - 2 platforms

Postby Robynsveil » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:34 am

Hi. I have a few questions about how this program runs.

First, the environments: I'm running Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64-bit with 16 gig RAM, running the Cinnamon desktop on both my desktop and laptop.

In both, I've included Q7Basic as a Mint menu item (under Programming), which is where I start it from. On my desktop, this is what it looks like when I first start it. To fix this, I click on the icon in the task bar, which makes it disappear, then, when I click on the taskbar icon again, it brings it up maximized but in the right proportions. Not a showstopper, but certainly a bit odd. No other program does this.

On the laptop, the behaviour on startup is a bit more of an issue: I have a secondary monitor to increase my work-area real-estate. When I load Q7Basic, I get this - the program is spanning both monitors. Minimizing to the taskbar and bringing it up again does nothing. The only way I can get Q7basic to confine itself to one screen is to unplug the second monitor. Again, no other program does this on my laptop, either. For example, Qt-Designer opens on one screen only on my laptop.

Oh, btw, if you have a close look at that last picture, you'll see that there are only the close 'x' and minimise '-' controls on the Q7Basic main screen, so no '+' maximise/windowed control. When I load this form with the second monitor de-activated/unplugged, all three controls appear.

is there some setting I might be able to address this with?

Oh, ETA:
ActivateHelp = true
DefaultSyntaxHighlighting = true
FontName = Courier New
FontSize = 10
MDI_savestate =
Project.sProjectPath = /home/robyn/Desktop/PACUEquip
Serial = xxxxxxx (numbers replaced)
ShowLineNumbers = true
Showlineseparators = true
gcc = true
vm = false
vs = false
.. not sure how I got this dialogue to pop up... it appeared after I had a look at the About Q7Basic dialogue. Oh, and trying to resize manually by dragging the screen edge from the sides does nothing - it won't resize horizontally. However, it *does* resize vertically!
Robynsveil

Re: Just purchased Q7Basic - 2 platforms

Postby Robynsveil » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:14 am

I did have a look at the 'Contribute' thread which came up when I went to Bug Report... and read this:

"The project is under active development and has a vibrant community. If you are looking at ways of helping the project, you are right here.
If you are interested in contributing, here are some pointers:

The selfish way is packed with adventure. You start by building your own software, and start using the compiler and tools. Eventually you will run into missing features, or a bug in the software. Since all the source code of Q7Basic is available, you can start tracking down the problem. Depending on how much time you have to devote to the problem you could: File a bug report; track down the problem and provide a better bug report; fix the bug and provide a patch. Ideally you will also write a regression test so the bug does not get re-introduced in the future."

I do like this concept! Mind you, my programming skills are limited to *barely* VBA, which I'm now expanding with Gambas and Q7Basic. I've actually been quite successful with Gambas recreating the main functionality of my Excel VBA product to a significant degree, and would probably stay with it were it not for the fact that apps compiled in Gambas3 are limited to running in Linux - which isn't a show-stopper - and requires a runtime to work (so no stand-alone) - which *is* a show-stopper, for me at least.
Robynsveil

Postby berndnoetscher » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Do you get any error messages?

This is really odd, because no one got the same problems yet and the IDE code is standard Qt code.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby Robynsveil » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:47 pm

No error messages, Bernd - this is on opening the program on my desktop and laptop. I even tried unplugging the second monitor after login completed on the laptop and Q7Basic still stretched out over to the (now non-viewable) screen. Maximized, missing the '+'. I'm wondering if there is some way to set Q7Basic's preferences to boot to Windowed - in both desktop and laptop sessions, it always boots to maximized, neither of them correctly, and the laptop session is unusable (the desktop session is correctable, after a fashion).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the fault is entirely with this application. It's just that no other program (including even VirtualBox) does this on either of my systems. I'm sure there is a solution somewhere. :)
Robynsveil

Postby berndnoetscher » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:29 am

Compile an example shipped with q7b and run it. Does it get maximized after you hit the maximized button of the example's window?
I suspect this is a Qt issue.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby blatman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi there,

FWIW I have found similar issues with the Q7B IDE. On Windows starting Q7B will always go to Maximised - I have to click the Windowing button and resize but the sizing is never remembered by Q7B (don't think the registry parameters even change). Be good to have the startup sizing options in Preferences.

Also noticed (on OSX) that the IDE horizontal sizing is a bit quirky - for instance if a longish install_name_tool error message occurs next to the IDE progress bar the right hand IDE border will extend well off the screen and can't be brought back unless the message is cleared - I think this is tied in a bit with how the toolbar functions because vertical is fine - possibly truncation on the messaging field is required or something.

Cheers,

Blane
blatman

Return to Questions & Answers