Compiling the Sources

Coding + IDE + Code-Editor + Syntax + User-Functions + Anything else

Compiling the Sources

Postby blatman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:54 am

Been playing around a bit with this and found it a lot more complicated than a couple of MAKE commands and easy however -

managed to compile Q7B for Qt 4.8.5 on Win XP on VBox on Mavericks and works for both minGW and VS.
Tried on Mavericks directly but Mavericks now uses the Clang compiler rather than GCC and it just blows out to 16G of RAM and stops the machine. Tried a GCC switch but Clang still insisted on running - probably OK with 20 Terabytes of RAM :lol:

Went back to Snow Leopard and the compiler works fine with GCC but not as well as with Windows.

Having difficulty gathering the libs and runtimes together for the compiled Q7Basic package - Bernd's distribution used 4.8.1 and the QtSDK which was then incorporated into the package but 4.8.5 buries itself in the OSX system (QtSDK not available for 4.8.5).

Looking at the Source it seems that _Q7BCompiler.cpp is the key file that is used by Q7B to build projects and within that is a CONFIG option called CompileItself.
I've found that when the appropriate libs/etc are provided within the .exe/.app package the release folder will be properly populated but I'm wondering whether 'CompileItself' comes into play when building Q7B itself. (at the moment I just manually construct the final .exe/.app folder)

So can anybody elaborate on the CompileItself option?

Like to get it at least going on Snow Leopard or Mavericks otherwise Q7B for me is starting to look like a Win only app (and XP at that unless Win 8.1 works - need to try that too!)

Cheers.

Cheers.
blatman

Re: Compiling the Sources

Postby Henning » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:32 pm

It seems to be a switch to select which source/destination files and paths to use.

I am, now and then, trying to update the Linux version to the win version native file I/O...

/Henning
Henning

Re: Compiling the Sources

Postby Slowdown » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi,
tried to compile Q7B on OSX 10.8.x and above with the same results as blatman experienced.
Mavericks is a no go because apple switched to the Clang compiler.
Never tried to compile Q7B on windows because there was no need for it, Bernd latest releases are for Windows.
Did compile it on different Linux distributions with different results on both 32 and 64 bit platforms.
some tips,
For all stay away from Qt 5.x and above.
Digia has changed some libs and Q7B must be rewritten (some parts) to use Qt5 and higher.
Use QtCreator to compile the codes because the are some hardcoded files/paths problems and Creator points them out to you.
For 64 bit Linux there must be changes made in the .pro files.
I compiled with succes Q7B on Ubuntu/Mint 32 and 64 bit.
On debian it compiled but Q7B would not run i received 'segmentation fault' when i tried to run Q7B.
Hate to say it but found out that is a coding error and i can't fix it :cry: because i can't code in C++
The compiler did work on Debian.
Also noticed that Q7B compiled on Ubuntu will not all way's work on an other distribution of Linux.

Yust my experience with compiling Q7B.
Kind regards,
Slowdown

OSX 10.8.x, VBox Xp, Ubuntu 32/64 bit, EOS 64 bit
Slowdown

Return to Questions & Answers