Project Size?!?!?!?!

Coding + IDE + Code-Editor + Syntax + User-Functions + Anything else

Project Size?!?!?!?!

Postby yogiyang » Wed May 09, 2012 7:26 am

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but after compiling a Project in Q7Basic the size of the project bloats to a 500+ MB. This is really unacceptable and wastes a lot of hard disk space.

I also observed that Qt's DLL files in the debug are also very large compared to original Qt files like for example the file "QtXmlPatternsd4.dll" is a whooping 103 MB while in Qt installation that I have it is just 3.77 MB.

Why such difference?

How can we put Q7Basic on Diet ?
yogiyang

Re: Project Size?!?!?!?!

Postby berndnoetscher » Wed May 09, 2012 7:49 am

You compare the debug version to the release version of Qt. Qt release dll files are a lot smaller and the debug version is used within Q7Basic all the time except if you use the deployment feature. Then the small release Qt dll files are used. This is for several reason.

My average project size compiled is about 70 MB (with the debug dll) when I use VS compiler (the dll files of the Q7Basic IDE are used by your project at runtime).
If you use GCC it is about 500 MB, because all Qt related debug files must be copied into the project or it won't work.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby berndnoetscher » Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 am

berndnoetscher wrote:You compare the debug version to the release version of Qt. Qt release dll files are a lot smaller and the debug version is used within Q7Basic all the time except if you use the deployment feature. Then the small release Qt dll files are used. This is for several reason.

My average project size compiled is about 70 MB (with the debug dll) when I use VS compiler (the dll files of the Q7Basic IDE are used by your project at runtime).
If you use GCC it is about 500 MB, because all Qt related debug files must be copied into the project or it won't work.

I have been working for nearly two hours now and find a solution which makes it possible to run GCC created projects within the VS created IDE WITHOUT copying the DLL files.
The new average project size for GCC is about 70 MB now.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby yogiyang » Thu May 10, 2012 8:05 am

berndnoetscher wrote:I have been working for nearly two hours now and find a solution which makes it possible to run GCC created projects within the VS created IDE WITHOUT copying the DLL files.

I salute you for your efforts. Thanks for the solution.

When are you planning to release a new update to Q7Basic?
yogiyang

Postby berndnoetscher » Thu May 10, 2012 9:14 am

yogiyang wrote:
berndnoetscher wrote:I have been working for nearly two hours now and find a solution which makes it possible to run GCC created projects within the VS created IDE WITHOUT copying the DLL files.

I salute you for your efforts. Thanks for the solution.

When are you planning to release a new update to Q7Basic?

It is available now. See patch section in this forum.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Return to Questions & Answers