The form designer (like in kbasic)

Are there new versions?

Re: The form designer (like in kbasic)

Postby yereverluvinuncleber » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:19 pm

Here's hoping for a progress report, I am, like many others really rather hoping for the compatible IDE.
yereverluvinuncleber

Postby berndnoetscher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:18 pm

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:Here's hoping for a progress report, I am, like many others really rather hoping for the compatible IDE.

As the ui approach is not working always, I just decided to do it without it... Please be patient.
There will be OpenForm(formname) CloseForm(formname) functions and saving is provided in Qt's binary format, which is platform independent for deployment.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby Slowdown » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Not bashing but,
What is wrong with designer for the time being ?
It's tested, working and providing everything you need.
Kind regards,
Slowdown

OSX 10.8.x, VBox Xp, Ubuntu 32/64 bit, EOS 64 bit
Slowdown

Postby Henning » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:59 pm

I agree with Slowdown, QtDesigner is working so well. I see other issues more important... 8-)

If I had any saying, I would leave the integrated designer till everything else is running...

/Henning
Henning

Postby Slowdown » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:53 pm

That's why i wrote 'for the time being'
It's also my humble opion that some others things/issues must be adressed first.
just my 2cents
Kind regards,
Slowdown

Slowdown

Postby yereverluvinuncleber » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am

Not so good for me, I am looking for an IDE that has some familiarity, something configurable and familiar perhaps, that is what I was hoping would arise from this, it is the major pull for me and the reason why I have shown interest in KBASIC/Q7BASIC/QTBASIC. There have been so many dialects of BASIC since VB6, many still exist and have some have failed - and I am looking for the natural progression from the VB6 IDE. Jabaco was it for me but it seems to have died a slow death, its IDE was very VB6-like and a familiar place to be and that is fundamentally what I am looking for. If Jabaco had had a dynamic development team then that is where I would be now. When you are working 80% in the old VB6 IDE and 20% in other IDEs, then having a transition IDE whilst working with a basic dialect that I am familar with - would be great thing to have. The QT designer is fine but it lacks some of the stuff I expect and frankly I can use any IDE that I like, the QT designer is no specific attraction to me, from my perspective is just another IDE that I need to come to grips with.
yereverluvinuncleber

Postby Henning » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm

I would still say that, compared to other differences in the language, QtDesigner is the easiest to get a grip of. ;)

And, no matter how "equal" the IDE gets, missing functions will make programming harder/impossible.

Just my opinion...

I *do* have respect for Bernds skills and the progress he has achived over time!! Wish I could program in C, and contribute more than reporting errors. 8-)

/Henning
Henning

Postby Slowdown » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:16 pm

grrrrr made a whole post and did something wrong, all text deleted :evil:

OK again, i followed the way's of Microsoft BASIC environments, from QB till VB6.
When MS released Vista i switched to OSX for personal reasons and so i had to find me a replacement for VB6.
Tried several dialects and no one impressed me till i found RealBasic mut that IDE was horrible so my search went on.
I stumble upon KBasic played some time with it and bought me a license.
In the meanwhile Brend released Objective Basic for OSX and i also bought a license but if you talk about a nasty IDE try Xcode 8-)
The next one from Bernd hand Q7B and, yes i did it again.
Started with it and i have to say Designer is the best of all designers I tried, better than the build in formdesigner KBasic have but that is just my opinion.
I do have some issues with QtDesigner but that is due to Q7B.
Bernd have told me that the next release will be with a build in form designer but i hope that he still
supports QtDesigner along with it because it's a one man job and i guess it will take a certain amount of time to make a complete formdesigner.

@Henning,
I *do* have respect for Bernds skills and the progress he has achived over time!! Wish I could program in C, and contribute more than reporting errors.

totally agre with you, wishes the same here and tried to start several times but that's is not good for my marriage :shock:
A friend of mine is programming in Qt and refuses to use Designer, he makes all his form in code :roll:
Kind regards,
Slowdown

Slowdown

Postby yereverluvinuncleber » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:55 pm

My desire for a VB6/KBASIC IDE is twofold, first I want it just for me... secondly I think that for any basic dialect to be considered a VB6 replacement, now needs to have an IDE that is configurable to make it operate as much like the old VB6 IDE as possible. This is for the productivity of the developer so he finds a continuous and smooth path for migration to the new language dialect. No-one has done this quite right with any of the VB6 alternatives. VB6 continues to function and many old VB6-ers are simply staying with it. It may seems strange for some that VB6-ers are still out there, but when you know the IDE inside out and the language remains a good RAD tool or if you have tens of thousands of lines of code to maintain then remaining with VB6 still makes sense. I always get a warm glow inside of me when I hear that .NET is dying and will probably be gone before VB6 (?)

If the VB6-alike IDE existed then many would simply roll over from VB6 into Q7 straight away. The IDE should or could be (and is) a separate product from the language and it could be a real winner in itself. A perfect VB6-alike IDE would be able to open a VB6 project and then highlight the dialect differences.

Sorry you lost your last post, that's happened so many times to me whilst on various forums that I now ctrl/a+ctrl/c all posts before submitting them.

Whilst I am here, an icon for Q7, big in form so you may reduce it at your leisure:

yereverluvinuncleber

Postby yereverluvinuncleber » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:56 pm

I also have a lot of respect for anyone who is prepared to put in so much time into a product like this.
yereverluvinuncleber

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements