Q7B on XP SP3 on Parallels 7 VM on OSX 10.6.8

If you have problems with the installation, you are right here.

Re: Q7B on XP SP3 on Parallels 7 VM on OSX 10.6.8

Postby Slowdown » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Blane,

Just send Bernd an e-mail, got Basic for Qt working on Snow Leopard.
Q7B_OSX_10.6.8.png
Q7B_OSX_10.6.8.png (64.52 KiB) Viewed 931 times

If you want to try download the Mac version it's updated today (the date mentioned is wrong).
I tested it on Lion and it worked and after that i installed on my Snow Leopard partition and see what happened. :D
Kind regards,
Slowdown

OSX 10.8.x, VBox Xp, Ubuntu 32/64 bit, EOS 64 bit
Slowdown

Postby blatman » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:04 pm

Good oh if you have it working on SL. I re-downloaded the file and it seemed to install better with the Designer working correctly, etc but the compiling for me still crashes with an install_name_tool error.
errorshot.jpg
errorshot.jpg (93.77 KiB) Viewed 930 times

It seems the qmake isn't creating the MDI folder under MacOS for some reason.

Got Q7B working on XP in VirtualBox OK and noticed that VirtualBox seems to be running 32 bit on the OSX whereas Parallels runs as 64 bit so maybe that is why the Parallels doesn't work for me but VirtualBox does.

Cheers.
blatman

Postby Slowdown » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:47 am

Strange,
I installed Xcode and Q7B on my MBP loaded the MDI example and it works.
But on XP you got it working so that problem is solved.
You have Xcode installed and updated ?
Kind regards,
Slowdown

Slowdown

Postby blatman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:01 am

Hi Slowdown,

Yes, XCode is installed but I may take it out and reinstall it just in case since I know that you indeed have it working OK.
I noticed that Apple Updates did do the XCode as well. Since the Q7B worked better after a re-install may this is the issue with XCode as well.

Cheers.
blatman

Postby blatman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:31 am

Just an update -

This is turning into a wild ride ...

Re-installed XCode with all options (UNIX Dev Support has the command line stuff I think) and this time added 10.4 support just in case. (the makefile produced in the projects seem to refer to 10.4 - export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET = 10.4 ). Applied the Apple update to 3.2.6 and restarted OSX.
Then re-installed Q7Basic - still no good. The MDI exe is still not being created under the MacOS folder within the project gcc debug.

Talk about shifting sands ..

Tried the Clean & Rebuild All with the MDI Example and it ended with 'Ready. Compiled 7 file(s)' but the exe didn't run (no GUI). I then just hit Run again and the compiler worked OK and showed the working GUI. This happens consistently with MDI example where Clean & Rebuild All doesn't quite complete (the MDI exe is produced but not run) but another Run (without restarting Q7B) will complete and work.

Then tried my test project which is a bit bigger and it partially compiled (got up to 'compiling 3 of 11 file(s)') and ended with 'Ready. Compiled 3 file(s)'. After a wee while Q7B went into a 'Not responding' state.

Not quite sure what is happening since the OSX has plenty of memory and disk space - more than enough to run the MDI example but the compiler just seems to run out of puff!

Cheers.
blatman

Postby blatman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:01 pm

OK - I'm going to call time on this thread -

Results:

XP Pro SP3 on VirtualBox 4.1.18 on OSX 10.6.8 - OK and also with VC 2008 compiler.

XP Pro SP3 on Parallels 7 on OSX 10.6.8 - now working OK.

OSX 10.6.8 OK with XCode 3.2.6 and Q7B 4.8.1

With the Parallels I'm not sure what fixed it but may have been a restart at some stage was required.

OSX - problem with not completing appears to be my understanding of the controls -
Clean & Rebuild All does just that - doesn't run the exe
Run will do the whole 9 yards

OSX - my own project failed with 'Not Responding' so I replaced it with the good project from the VirtualBox and it was fine - I will try and find out what the difference was with the old project that caused the issue when my hair grows back.

Overall I probably needed to do a few more OS restarts than I did.

The only outstanding issue that I have seen is out of memory failures due to massive qrc_q7b_default.cpp files which I will mention in another part of the forum.

Thanks to Slowdown also for the assistance.

Cheers,
Blane
blatman

Postby Slowdown » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi Blane,

Spend today a lot of time on Q7B and OSX 10.6.x and 10.7.x and have found some bugs and reported them to Bernd.
One of them was that Clean and Rebuild all isn't working as you also found out 8-)
I have ported 3 applications written under XP with minor changes to the code.
But with one of them i got the same 'Install' error as you get with the MDI example and did spent a lot of time to figure out
what was going wrong not only pulling out my hair but also growing more grey hairs :shock:
At last i found the problem was using a single \ in a string and i realized that is an Escape code so when i changed the single \ in a double \\
all was working fine.
There are some more issues with Q7B on OSX and i have reported them so we have to wait.
I left out support for 10.4 that one is really not supported.
Did you try some more examples ?
Kind regards,
Slowdown

Slowdown

Postby blatman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Slowdown,

No haven't tried many of the examples just yet but will as I plod through the code I guess - seems to be very easy to end up with compiler errors referring to missing semicolons, etc in the cpp files. Did notice a couple though (SoundMovie and ImageButton) - I was looking for samples using a Resources folder and these used a Copy folder to hold some .wav files instead. Usually the Resources folder will generate a qrc_q7b_default.cpp file and I've found this can be quite massive but I couldn't find a similar file in the samples. I've written up the massive file issue in the Q & A part of the forum.

I'll keep an eye out for the \ issue as well.

Cheers.
blatman

Postby Slowdown » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:18 am

Found out that the compiler under OSX 10.6.x is a lot faster than under VBox/XP :)
Kind regards,
Slowdown

Slowdown

Previous

Return to Installation