Q7B on XP SP3 on Parallels 7 VM on OSX 10.6.8

If you have problems with the installation, you are right here.

Q7B on XP SP3 on Parallels 7 VM on OSX 10.6.8

Postby blatman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi there,

Seriously looking at Q7B as a cross-platform devapp but having issues with my platforms ...

OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) - getting an install_name_tool: can't open file: problem and QT Designer won't work
- seems to be known that Q7B doesn't work on 10.6 as yet. (using 4.8.1 trial)

XP SP3 on Parallels 7 VM (VM running as 64 bit on OSX, XP running as 32 bit within VM)- builds/compiles and produces UI but not fully functional - eg: using the Examples>Application>MDI i get the MainWindow with all objects OK and get on_pushutton_clicked MsgBox OK but the MdiArea does not populate with the sub windows.
With my own project I get similar where MainWindow populates and MsgBoxes work but no other UI windows will show or work.
After a Compiler>Clean & Rebuild All it got worse where the compiler status would say Ready, Compiled x file(s) -- x varied, should have processed 12 files.
When I initially tried the Q7B it gave a huge number of parsing errors which appeared to be missing semicolons, etc in the .cpp files but these were cleared by remming out lines,etc and once the errors were cleared I then got the MainWindow showing but nothing else. (using 4.8.0 trial)
- does this mean that a custom install of Q7B may be required? - scary.

XP SP3 on old P4 PC (32 bit) - Works OK and the Examples>Application>MDI works correctly. (using 4.8.0 trial)

So has anyone else tried Q7B with XP in a VM on 10.6.8 at all?

Be a real shame if I can't use this on my newer platforms since the old P4 is being retired and Q7B does potentially look quite good.

Cheers,

Blane
blatman

Re: Q7B on XP SP3 on Parallels 7 VM on OSX 10.6.8

Postby Henning » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi,

Since it is running ok on the XP computer, my 5 cents is some setting in the VM. Is the VM XP updated?

I use VirtualBox running linux in my XP computer, and it works ok with Q7B.

/Henning
Henning

Postby blatman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi Henning,

not sure about 'XP updated' but the VM has been running XP Pro SP3 for sometime OK with a large number of apps. VB2005/2008 Express, etc OK - it's a bit of a workhorse actually.
Parallels VM version is 7.0.14924 which is not the latest within version 7 but is stable - I will be updating at some stage but it is usually a serious undertaking.
The latest update focusses more on fixes for Mountain Lion, retina, etc.
Set for dual CPU operation in line with old P4 using XP Pro SP3.

Good to know that VirtualBox appears OK (at least on Linux). I had an old toy Kubuntu VM around so I may try the Q7B in that at some stage.
Just wondering whether there might be some sort of 32/64 bit crossover issue somewhere - is your Q7B/Linux on XP all 32 bit?
Cheers.
blatman

Postby Henning » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Yes, all my "useful" apps are 32-bit...

Hope someone else can pinpoint the mystery.

/Henning
Henning

Postby Slowdown » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi blatman,

I'm running XP SP3 in VirtualBox on OSX 10.6.8 and it's rock stable.
At this moment i'm testing Q7B on 10.7.x 'B' does have some problems with the paths under OSX most of them
are fixed and i'll try the latest release (today) later this evening.
My biggest problem is time :(
is your Q7B/Linux on XP all 32 bit?

Some time ago i compiled Q7B on Suse 64 bit (also OSX/VirtualBox) and it worked fine producing as i believe 64bit applications.
Kind regards,
Slowdown

OSX 10.8.x, VBox Xp, Ubuntu 32/64 bit, EOS 64 bit
Slowdown

Postby blatman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks Slowdown, that's good info - looks like Virtual Box VM's are OK so maybe I have a Parallels issue - I will have to maybe try my barebones VM with XP and more room, etc.
Just as an aside I went back to the OSX (10.6.8) and tried a few things. As well as not compiling the Q Designer would fail - managed to fix the Q Designer OK and it now shows the MDI Example no problem via the Q7B but still doesn't compile. The QTSDK folder contents in the Q7B download don't seem right if Q Designer, qtdemo, QMLViewer are opened they all crash and burn but they are OK if subbed with good copies from the Nokia QT SDK - It looks like Q7B only uses the Designer component in the Contents/MacOS folder and once this is subbed it works fine in Q7B. I guess once B has sorted the paths I suspect Q7B will fly on 10.6.8

If the 10.6.8 issue gets fixed soon then I may build a Virtual Box just for my XP dev.

Cheers
blatman

Postby Slowdown » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi blatman,
If i understand it correctly OSX 10.6.x isn't supported by "Basic For Qt®" (don't like the name).
You need the latest Xcode and Xcode command line tools released for OSX 10.7.x
Kind regards,
Slowdown

Slowdown

Postby blatman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:18 pm

mmmmm, yes - i got the impression that only 10.7 is supported until something is fixed in the Qt side of things.
If 10.6.8 never works then I'll have to wait since my next OSX jump will be to Mountain Lion rather than Lion and I'll be waiting for it to stabilize before doing so.
However I may try Virtual Box on 10.6.8 - can't practically use my old P4 since it will be retired soon and the memory requirements of Q7B appear to be enormous so I was hoping that my MB Pro would be able to do the job.

Cheers
blatman

Postby Slowdown » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi, blatman,
mmmmm, yes - i got the impression that only 10.7 is supported until something is fixed in the Qt side of things.
If 10.6.8 never works then I'll have to wait since my next OSX jump will be to Mountain Lion rather than Lion and I'll be waiting for it to stabilize before doing so.

Nope SL will not be supported.
My main OS is also SL, got a disk of Lion from a friend installed it just for testing Q7B.
I jump to Mountain Lion as soon as it is released.
Got it completely working on Lion and reported some issues to Bernd and he released an update today and will try this one this evening.
Will report it here if you are interested.
and the memory requirements of Q7B appear to be enormous

Here Q7B on my system, OSX 10.6.x VirtualBox and Q7B running with an example loaded of about 2000 lines.
Q7Basic Memory.png
Q7Basic Memory.png (2.7 KiB) Viewed 1220 times

and the load,
Q7Basic Load.png
Q7Basic Load.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 1220 times

44 Mb just for Q7B is not to much.
I agree with you that your system will got into troubles when compiling sources, you have to make sure that you have enough to drink and /or eat
when you are going to compile something ;)
Kind regards,
Slowdown

Slowdown

Postby blatman » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 am

Sorry Slowdown,

Should have said disk space during compilation rather than memory - inserted a line to view a text file and the compiler choked - eg: qrc_q7b_default.cpp file was c. 300M in size and the whole project folder blew out to 0.5G - quite obviously a lot of space can be required.
The culprit line was - OpenTextWindow(ReadString(":/Resources/Texts/record.txt"))
the 2k text file accounted for most of the 300M .cpp file in debug folder.

I think I read somewhere in the forum that the VS compiler is more efficient but I don't have VS - just used VB Express up till now.

Anyway I'm presently running up a VirtualBox with XP Pro in it so I'll see if that goes well ...

... and you are right about the coffee session whilst compiling - it seems to take a while but we'll see if it's quicker on the MBP.

Cheers,
Blane
blatman

Next

Return to Installation